LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS FOR WURC!
WURC (Waynesville’s Underground Railroad Committee) is a joint effort by the Museum at the Friends Home, the Mary L. Cook Library, and representatives from Harveysburg, Pioneer Village, and interested citizens of the area. We are researching Waynesville’s significant role in the Underground Railroad movement. We meet monthly to compile a comprehensive history of many homes, family histories/lore about the Underground Railroad, and local people who were involved in the movement. We are also researching the storm sewer/tunnel system in the area.
The committee has identified over one hundred homes that were built prior to 1864 within the Waynesville and the surrounding area. Some of these homes could have been hiding places for escaped slaves on their way north to Canada and freedom. We are looking for people to join our committee to help with this project.
So far we have researched the Seth Silver Haines Home, the Moses Mc Kay House, three structures at Pioneer Village, Camp Dennison, and the Little Miami Railroad. Check out some photos taken during these research activities.
Take a tour at Touritz! Touritz.com is a new website displaying historical walking tours. Check out a walking tour WURC put together of important Underground Railroad sites in Waynesville.
Our meetings are being held at the Mary L. Cook Library at 11AM on the third Monday of the month.
Come join us!!! Contact the Museum at the Friends Home or the Library at 897-4826 for more information.
The WAHCC at The Friends Home, Inc. ~ 115 S. 4th Street, P.O. Box 12, Waynesville, Ohio 45068 513.897.1607
© The Waynesville Area Heritage & Cultural Center at The Friends Home, Inc., 2013