top of page
This Gothic home, believed to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad, was built in 1854 by Quaker Seth Silver Haines, Waynesville's first millionaire. The original brick was covered with stucco in 1909. A three-hole privy is attached at the rear of the house; there is a ten-foot diameter cistern under the house; an old well hole is in a basement side wall; and parts of the tunnel used to bring runaway slaves up from the river are still in evidence.
bottom of page