top of page
Families from the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) moved to Waynesville from Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Georgia as a protest to slavery. The Miami Monthly Meeting opened 10th mo 13, 1803. By 1807, its 1,807 members needed a larger Meeting House. This White Brick building was completed in 1811 with John Satterthwaite serving as the clerk of the Building Committee. This structure is the oldest regularly attended religious building west of the Allegheny Mountains.
bottom of page