The Friends Home was built by the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers, in 1905, as a boarding home for retired Quakers. In the early years, young single female teachers lived here and, occasionally, visiting Quakers. Considered a modern marvel in 1905, the Friends Home had electricity and indoor plumbing. The exterior and interior walls are hand-poured concrete with hand-cut wooden beams in the attic. Each room has hardwood flooring, some of which have been uncovered and refinished. When first opened, a boarder could live at the Friends Home for around $3.50 per week, which included meals, laundry and house cleaning.
Today, the Museum at the Friends Home is housed here, highlighting the history of Waynesville and surrounding small communities, preserving history for future generations. The Museum at the Friends Home is open Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1-5 p.m. April through mid-December.