Constructed by Dr. Sylvanus Fisher as the Academy of Higher Learning, it operated from 1844 to 1857, when Waynesville schools consolidated. By 1905, S. Lev Cartwright purchased the building for a residence. In 1935, Albert (Cap) and Opal Stubbs bought the property from John Cartwright for use as a residence, and as a funeral home. Steve Conner took over in 1969 and renamed it the Stubbs Conner Funeral Home. He built an addition so funerals no longer had to be held in his living room. Today, Steve's son Brad operates the business.