143 High - Samuel Highway House

This is the second home of Samuel Heighway, who founded Waynesville in 1797. His first house, along with his trading post which contained the first post office, was built in 1797, and was the first structure located on the southeast corner of Main and High Streets (see #14). Samuel died in 1817 and the present house was built circa 1820 by his descendants.The original house was demolished in the early 1900s.