Thomas Swift, the first Quaker potter in Waynesville, built this home in 1813. It served as his pottery shop as well as a grocery. Evidence of the brick used for his kiln and pieces of red pottery were found in the rear of the house. The recessed door and the site of the side porch are original while a small stone cottage was added in the back. The building has also been a church, duplex and antique shop.