The structure was built in three stages with the northern section completed by William Day as early as 1810. Joseph Chapman finished the additions in 1833 and 1840, extending the residence to Miami Street. By the mid-1800s, it was a saloon. In 1872, the Crusader's Temperance Union convinced the owner, William Raper, to dump his whiskey and beer into the street. Raper operated a grocery here until 1893 when it became a funeral home run by Harper and McClure. In 1955, it reverted to residential use. Since the 1970s, the building has been an antique shop.