This brick home was built in 1836 by David (1793-1861) and Rachel (Burnet) (1794-1885) Evans. David, the second son of Benjamin Evans (1760-1830). Benjamin came to Waynesville with his family from Bush River South Carolina. He introduced the manufacturing of the screw auger to Waynesville in 1802. David’s older brother Thomas (1791-1852) was an abolitionist and Orthodox Quaker who lived south of Waynesville. After Thomas’ death his family moved to Earlham, Indiana. Benjamin and his son David continued the auger and tool manufacturing business until Benjamin’s death in 1830. Besides being an auger maker, David was a mercantile businessman, an executioner of wills and settlements of estates. Rachel was the daughter of John and Rebecca (Vail) Burnet. David and Rachel were the first couple married in 1813 at the white brick Miami Monthly Meeting House of Friends in Waynesville. One of David and Rachel’s sons, John Evans, was a physician, the founder and first president of Northwestern University, the founder of the Chicago Medical Society, and founder the University of Denver. He was also governor of the Colorado Territory appointed by Abraham Lincoln. There is much history on this prominent Evans family. Other owners of the home included the Terrell family and Irene Norman. This structure was also a tourist home and a Warren County Woman’s Group Home. It was recently purchased by the current owners the Kaans.