top of page
Waynesville Underground Railroad Committee


WURC (Waynesville’s Underground Railroad Committee) is a joint effort by the Museum at the Friends Home, the Mary L. Cook Library, and representatives from Harveysburg, Pioneer Village, and interested citizens of the area.  We are researching Waynesville’s significant role in the Underground Railroad movement. We meet monthly to compile a comprehensive history of many homes, family histories/lore about the Underground Railroad, and local people who were involved in the movement.  We are also researching the storm sewer/tunnel system in the area.

The committee has identified over one hundred homes that were built prior to 1864 within the Waynesville and the surrounding area. Some of these homes could have been hiding places for escaped slaves on their way north to Canada and freedom. We are looking for people to join our committee to help with this project.

So far we have researched the Seth Silver Haines Home, the Moses Mc Kay House, three structures at Pioneer Village, Camp Dennison, and the Little Miami Railroad.  Check out some photos taken during these research activities.

bottom of page